Friday, December 17, 2010

Laying the foundation

So I decided I needed a foam base to build everything on.  This will allow the nails to go in easier that hold on the track and I can dig out foam to the board to put in water features.  I found some 1/2" pink foam insulating material at Menard's for $8.50.  1/2" is hopefully small enough since I only have my 4" or so that I can build up so the layout still folds up.  I did notice the insulation sheet has a layer of film on it so I made sure I took that off before gluing it to the board. 

To attach the base I decided to use 3M Foam Fast 74 Classic.  This stuff is designed for foam so I thought it would be best and 3M Company is known for sticky stuff.  The spray came out as yellow goopy stuff.  I spayed both the insulation and the board.

I actually lucked out a bit.  When I laid the insulation down it stuck immediately. I thought I would have a second to reposition it but I didn't.  It didn't lay perfectly as it left a ridge on the front of the board.  But like I said, I was lucky and I can work with that.  I did crack the insulation trying to reposition it, but that shouldn't be an issue since all this will eventually be covered over.

You can see the ridge in front. 
Now the layout will just slope off a bit.

The Crack.
At first I thought I might want to use some bolts and large washers to hold the insulation down as an extra precaution when the layout is folded up.  But this glue has made the board and foam sheet as one.  I don't think I will need to worry about the weight of the layout one bit.



Matthew was helping me today.  He was happy to hold the pieces of insualtion as I cut and broke them off.  He is ready to start playing :)




No comments:

Post a Comment